The idea of a weekly family night is to spend an evening where the family is together having a meaningful experience together. Watching a favorite TV show doesn’t count! It’s best if you can pick a given night each week and keep it there. At first it might not work, but keep at it, eventually you’ll figure out how to make it happen. It’s critical that everyone commits. When a family decides to focus on family night, everyone must make it a priority.
A Few Family Night Ideas
- Play a game outside like badminton, croquet, four square, basketball, or just horse around.
- Bake cookies to take to neighbors and friends. Then deliver them and visit awhile.
- Do joint activities. Invite another family to join you. Have fun together.
- Build something. Make a bird house. Put together a jigsaw puzzle and then frame it.
- Do a family production. Write and perform a skit or short play. Create a music video.
It may seem like a lot of work, and sometimes it is, but it will pay rich dividends! We are living at a time when too many families are fractured and falling apart. Making family night a weekly priority can make a big difference in building family unity and strengthening relationships.